Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Seventh Day (Poem)

The Seventh Day

No project
competes with sitting
in the space
where silence
joins thought. Consider how God
spent His seventh day.

© 2011 Maureen E. Doallas
____________________________

I'm participating in the #Trust30 challenge, an online writing/reflection initiative for which a prompt is posted daily. All of the prompts to date are here.

This poem, written in Shadorma form (six lines following a 3-5-3-3-7-5 syllabic pattern), is my response to the 20th prompt from Laura Kimball, director of communications and social media at Jolkona Foundation, a Seattle, Washington, nonprofit:

Speak Less

What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know I. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I once received a fortune cookie that read: "Speak less of your plans, you'll get more done." What's one project that you've been sitting on and thinking about but haven't made progress on? What's stopping you? What would happen if you actually went for it and did it?

* * *

All of my responses to prompts are poems. My poems for prompts 16 - 19 are:

You'll find my response to prompt 15, "Truth Be Told", and a list of poems answering prompts 1 - 15 here.

2 comments:

S. Etole said...

This is what I am doing ... resting.

Anonymous said...

BAM!, baby! yes:-) i love it.